[updated May 3] May is Asian Heritage Month. There are events across Canada and the United States, virtually and in person. Here’s a selection.
I checked archives, museums, and historical societies to bring you events ranging from the Chinese Canadian Historical Society (CCHS) in Vancouver, the China Institute in New York, My China Roots in Guangzhou, and the York Centre for Asian Research in Toronto.
NOTE: If you are joining My China Roots on Discord for the first time, give yourself plenty of time before the event to sign up and pass the many protocols. The platform is more like Slack than Zoom.
- May 1 – Community Meet & Greet – Ancestral Detectives Assemble! My China Roots (MCR). Register here.
- May 6 – Full Circle – Returning to Ancestral Villages in China. MCR. Register here.
- May 6 – [Mandarin] Lunch and Learn 午间中文. China Institute, New York. Register here.
- May 7 – Asian Heritage Month Opening Ceremony 2022: Celebrating the Twentieth Anniversary of the signing of Asian Heritage Month Declaration. York Centre for Asian Research (YCAR), Toronto. Register here.
- May 11 – Virtual Chinatown walkabout with John Atkin, Bob Sung and Hayne Wai. Chinese Canadian Historical Society (CCHS). Register here.
- May 13 – Treasure Hunt – How to Dig for Family Stories at Home. MCR. Register here.
- May 20 – Lost in Translation – How to Trace Chinese Ancestors Like a Pro. MCR. Register here.
- May 27 – Tender Roots – Exploring Intergenerational Healing. MCR. Register here.
Coast to Coast Events
If you happen to be fortunate enough to live in Boston, Halifax, Montreal, San Francisco or Vancouver, you also have the following options:
- May 1 – Halifax, Canadian Museum of Immigration at Pier 21, 2 pm local. “Asian Heritage Month Opening Ceremony.” More information here.
- May 3 – Boston, Fenway Park, Major League Baseball. “AAPI Heritage Celebration.” More information here.
- May 4, San Francisco. Hosted by Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage. “APA Heritage Awards & Reception.” More information here.
- May 4, Vancouver. Launch of the Centre for Asian Canadian Research and Engagement (ACRE). “Re-Imagining Asian Canadian Futures.” More information and registration here.
- May 7-14 – Vancouver, LiterAsian 2022 – the tenth anniversary. “Finding Our Voices: Telling Our Stories.” More information including registration here.
- May 8, Vancouver, Chinatown Storytelling Centre, 11-3 local. “Fresh off the Press!” Book Signing Event with authors Wayne Ng, Jamie Chai Yue Lieu, and Check Kwan. No registration required.
- May 28, Halifax, Canadian Museum of Immigration at Pier 21, “Canada’s Storytellers: Albert Lee’s Wok & Talk,” a walk of Halifax’s South End neighbourhood with local historian Albert Lee. More information here.
- May 28, Montreal, Hosted by Winnipeg’s Asian Heritage Society of Manitoba and Festival Accès Asie. “On the Move: National Asian Heritage Celebration.” Register here.
It fills me with joy to even be able to put a list like this together. If I’m missing an event, feel free to comment below. I would love to write more but I’m attending the first event by My China Roots in a few hours! Maybe I’ll see you there.