For me, genealogy is about the stories: the ones we heard growing up, and the ones we find through research. The stories that resonate the most for me are those that have largely been forgotten or overlooked by history. What I love most is genealogy’s capacity to encompass everything – history, law, politics, geography, religion, culture, sociology, psychology – because at its heart it is about people.
What’s available for you here?
Welcome to my personal library of links. This website’s original purpose was to be a one-stop shop for all the useful sites I found for my own work and I’m most proud of my collection of links for Saskatchewan, British Columbia, and Chinese Genealogy. Feel free to bookmark these pages, because I am always updating them.
And then there are the blogs: over one hundred forty and counting.
I write about Canadian and Chinese genealogy, about organizing, and archives. See the tags below for topics, and use the Search for anything specific. If you like what you see, sign up for my newsletter at the link below. You will get notices when I drop a new post. If you’ve got a great idea, let me know on the Contact Me page.
Amazing things happen when you focus on what you love:
- Found my tribe! Genealogists, you are my people.
- Went to Sze Yup, China to visit my ancestral roots (Oct 2019) with the Heritage of Cantonese Migration Tour
- Joined the Ancestry Canada Advisory Board (Nov 2019)
- Attended three Salt Lake City Institute of Genealogy courses, more familiarly known as “SLIG”
- Spoken on tv and radio and had articles published
- Written two books (Feb 2021)!!!
- Completed a Level 1 Genealogy Project on the Won Cumyow family for the International Commission for the Accreditation of Professional Genealogists (ICAPGen) (Jul 2022)
My speciality is the history of the Chinese in Canada. An unintended but incredible benefit is being able to connect many of the historic families in Canada with my private tree (1700+ people), document archive (7400+), and image archive (38K+). My geographic focus is Western Canada: from BC to Manitoba. Finally, I am as passionate about organizing as I am about family history, and have given multiple talks on using Evernote for genealogy.
I’m a member of the Association of Professional Genealogists, the Ancestry Canada Advisory Board, and many genealogy societies.
Do please see my privacy page at the link below, which is written as clearly as possible and lets you know what information this site collects, what is done with it, what you can do about it, and other super fun topics.